The Streets and Lanes of St Peter's Parish

St Peter's Parish 1750 from Charles Smith's
map of Cork City published in his book.

Click to enlarge the photograph.
The Parish of St Peter's in 1750 was defined by Hammond's Key in the West, Batchelour's (Batchelor's) Key, the North Bridge and Kirls (Kyrl's) Key to the North, Pottatoe Key to the East, while the central waterway roughly defined the Southern boundary with Christchurch Parish. This waterway on the eastern side was arched over and became Castle Street. However, Fishamble Lane on the southern side of the waterway is usually included in St Peter's Parish (see 1766 religious Parliamentary returns). On the above 1750 map, St Peter's church is denoted as 13, and is located centrally in the densely populated parish.

The prinicipal lanes of St Peters are shown as being (from the North Gate of North Main street and working southwards on each side):
West Side:
Gaol Lane, North Gate, along the city wall
Phillips' Lane 108- 109 North Main Street
Cross Gun Lane, 105 - 106 North Main Street
Skiddy's Castle Lane, 103 - 104 North Main Street
Wade's Lane, 101 - 102 North Main Street
Veal's Lane, possibly another name for Wade's Lane
Hoard's Lane
Hoar's Lane, could be the same as above
Murray's Lane, 98 - 99 North Main Street
Angel Lane, 97 - 98 North Main Street
Browne's Lane
Coleman's Lane, 92 - 93 North Main Street
Morley's Lane, 89 - 90 North Main Street
Pike's Lane 87 - 88 North Main Street
Peter's Church Lane, 87 North Main Street
Meeting House Lane, 80 - 81 North Main Street
Wade's Lane
Sloan's Lane, 78-79 North Main Street
Morris' Lane, 75 - 76 North Main Street
Marie's Lane
Friends' Lane
Broad Lane, 73 - 74 North Main Street to 25-26 Grattan Street
Crab Alley, 70 - 71 North Main Street
Fuller's Lane, 67 - 68 North Main Street
Croun Court, 61 - 62 North Main Street
Peacock's Lane
Austin's Lane, another name for Croun Court
North and South Cross Street
Pitts' Lane, off Cross Street
Fishamble Lane

67 - 68 North Main Street which, according to the records, was the site of Fuller's Lane. As can be seen, there is no evidence of a lane in 1980, when this photograph was taken. The roof of the shop
would suggest that a narrow extension was added on the right hand side which resulted in the lane disappearing.
Click to enlarge the photograph.
East Side:
Rowland's Lane, 6-7 North Main Street
Smith's Lane
Spark's Entry 11-12 North Main Street
Vandeleur's Lane, 13 - 14 North Main Street
Dennis Lane
Ashes Lane, 17 - 18 North Main Street
Pembroke's Lane, 20 - 21 North Main Street
New Bridewell Lane,25 - 26 North Main Street
Flag Lane, 29 - 30 North Main Street
Barry's Lane, 15 -16 North Main Street
Cockpit Lane, 37 - 38 North Main Street
Wisdom Lane, 42-43 North Main Street
Portney's Lane, 45 - 46 North Main Street
Dominick Tirry's Lane, the earlier name for Portney's Lane
David Terry fitz-Stephen Lane
Crone's Lane
Old Bridewell Lane, 47 - 48 North Main Street
Hawkins' Lane, 51 - 52 North Main Street
Ballard's Lane, 52 - 53 North Main Street
Cottoren's Lane, 54 - 55 North Main Street
Castle Street

Over the years Lanes came and went or were renamed. Some of the lanes above could be the same lane with a different name.

Part of Guy's 1866 map of Cork City showing St Peter's Parish.

By 1866, the lanes of St Peters Parish had all but disappeared. Some were built over to widen the store frontage, others were widened to form streets at least wide enough to take a horse or even a cart or carriage.

At some time between the time when Smith visited St Peter's parish in 1750 and when Guy composed his 1866 map, the following major changes occurred:
1. Adelaide Street was created, possibly from the old Pike's Lane.
2. St Peter's Church Lane became Peter's Street, although even today it is not wide enough for anything but pedestrian traffic.
3. Broad Lane became Broad Street although today it has disappeared altogether.
4. Cross Street became Duncan Street, which today is Duncan Street.
5. Kyle Street appeared, somewhere near Pembroke Lane.
6. The only streets that have survived the centuries intact are the Quays, North Main street and Castle Street.
7. Hammonds' Marsh and Pike's Marsh were drained, built on and encorporated into the parish, with the addition of Grenville Place, Henry Street, Moore Street, Coach Street, and Nile Street, Francis Street, James' Street, Clothier's Lane, Hanover Street and Watergate Lane, besides others.

One of the lanes, possibily Cross Gun Lane or Angel Lane,
North Main Street, St Peter's Parish, as it was in 1980.
Click to enlarge the photograph.

The same lane looking back towards North Main Street. It is not known whether the lanes were as narrow as this in ancient times, but probably. The population of St Peter's Parish was densely packed together on this island in the River Lee, initially to stay within the safety of the city walls.
Click to enlarge the photograph.

North Main Street, taken in 1980.
The lane pictured above can be seen just to the right
of the green 'Quality Printing and Developing' sign.
Click to enlarge the photograph.
Unfortunately there were few numbers on the street to allow us to positively identify the lane but its position in the street suggested it was Cross Gun Lane where Robert Stevelly, Church Warden of St Peters lived with his large family from approximately 1740 until his death in 1795.

St Peter's Church Lane

St Peter's Church Lane with the south wall of St Peter's church on the right of the photo taken in 2006.
Click to enlarge the photograph.

St Peters Church Lane. 2006. The old stone wall of St Peter's church can be seen at the bend on the right.
Click to enlarge the photograph.